Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Selection for Waiting on Wednesday: French Lessons by Ellen Sussman

I've been so busy, I didn't get a chance to do a WOW post last week; the first time that's happened in months, I think. Waiting on Wednesday is my favorite meme and I look forward to it to learn what's new and interesting in the book world. It was started by Jill over at Breaking the Spine--thanks, Jill!

Over the past week, I reviewed the debut, young adult novel, DIE FOR ME, and interviewed it's author, Amy Plum. The intriguing, romantic novel is set in France and I guess it's upped my French interest right now. When I went to England last summer, it was my intent to go to France, but I was so exhausted by the trip and jet lag, I just couldn't drag myself over there. I tell you! I won't let that happen again, doggone it! Now, on to my selection this week. Of course it has to be French related, because that's my sensibility right now. It's called French Lessons (what else?!) Check out the description...

 A single day in Paris changes the lives of three Americans as they each set off to explore the city with a French tutor, learning about language, love, and loss as their lives intersect in surprising ways.

Josie, Riley, and Jeremy have come to the City of Light for different reasons: Josie, a young high school teacher, arrives in hopes of healing a broken heart. Riley, a spirited but lonely expat housewife, struggles to feel connected to her husband and her new country. And Jeremy, the reserved husband of a renowned actress, is accompanying his wife on a film shoot, yet he feels distant from her world.

As they meet with their tutors—Josie with Nico, a sensitive poet; Riley with Phillippe, a shameless flirt; and Jeremy with the consummately beautiful Chantal—each succumbs to unexpected passion and unpredictable adventures. Yet as they traverse Paris’s grand boulevards and intimate, winding streets, they uncover surprising secrets about one another—and come to understand long-buried truths about themselves. 


I think this sounds absolutely delicious. Paris appears to be as much of a character as the three protagonists described. Love, loneliness, passion and self-discovery sound like major components of this plot. I want to read it with something sweet to drink, good to eat and just indulge myself...hee hee hee.

So, what say you, my literary friends? Anyone else up for French delights?

French Lessons releases July 5, 2011 by Ballentine Books.

Toodles!

13 comments:

  1. This is new books for me. But the resolution of its cover seems broken in my monitor.

    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the setting and the summary definitely has me intrigued. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading books set in France and this one sounds wonderful. I am adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think this one sounds good. A nice summer read, I think. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its alittle different from what Im used to reading but it does sound good,,I like books with secrets and twists...
    thanks for sharing
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how wonderful! I love reading books in settings like these...who doesn't love to imagine living in Paris?

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds lovely! I love it when a book has multiple/intermingling plotlines. Please stop by my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. French lessons sounds great.
    What am I waiting for this Wednesday? I'm really looking forward to this super awesome sequel!

    -Mocha from A Cupcake and A Latte: YA Reads, Reviews & More!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this one looks great...going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks good,great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely will put this book on my radar list of books. thanks for sharing it and happy reading to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds very interesting...Lucy has a pink beret...have I mentioned that before?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the cover for this. Usually I like to read books set over a longer period of time though. Cool choice.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!