Friday, March 28, 2014

DIVERGENT, the movie: A review




If you haven't read my prior post before this one, please take a few minutes to do so. I'll wait......back? Good. Because of the mediocre reviews and sucky preview trailers, I wasn't in any hurry to see DIVERGENT, so I skipped opening week. I was pretty skeptical about how it would fair at the box office. It came in second last week, way stronger than some of the recent YA adaptations. Nice! I decided to check it out today.

Let's get right to it. I enjoyed it---a lot! Dare I say, I may have even liked it more than The Hunger Games! Sacrilegious, I know. I'm still trying to decide.

I thought people that hadn't read the book would be confused, but no, the main character, Tris, explained the premise in a voice-over, Bella style, and it was pretty interesting. It's been a couple of years since I read the arc, so I had forgotten some elements, but things came back pretty quickly. DIVERGENT has much more action than I expected, too. It moved at a steady pace and kept you on your toes about what was coming next.

What really surprised me was the romantic element. DIVERGENT did a great job with the romantic tension! The film played the young girls in the audience like a fiddle. I never heard girls swoon, titter and gasp so loud...lol...

I thought it was so cute that Zoe Kravitz and her dad are in competing dystopian films: She in DIVERGENT and he, Lenny Kravitz, in The Hunger Games.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment. The reviews didn't do this film justice. Go see it!

Toodles, y'all!

8 comments:

  1. Yes re the Kravitz's - she looks just like her dad too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! They do look alike. Zoe looks nothing like her mom. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. I know just what you mean! I loved this movie...it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read the book Thursday before movie release will wait to watch on DVD June but think will also enjoy more than Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Jackie. It surprised me, especially The Hungar Games part!

      Delete
  4. I don't wish to compare it to Hunger Games, but even as a movie judged on it's own it's weak in a lot of ways. Good review June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...I knew that Hunger Games reference would be a stretch for some! Thanks for the compliment. :-)

      Delete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!