Saturday, April 9, 2011

Movie Talk: INSIDIOUS. I see a connection with my novel...kind of...

I've always been a fan of horror movies, but I haven't bothered to watch them as much anymore. One of my students saw INSIDIOUS and insisted that I had to see it. She loved it so much, I decided to check it out. I went after work on Friday. This movie seems to be getting mixed reviews, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't know how to discuss the movie without giving away spoilers. Suffice to say, I thought it was one of the scariest movies I've seen. It was dark and creepy. It reminds me a bit of the novel I'm working on. I'm not writing a horror book, but it is inspired by the genre. I didn't take my story there, but INSIDIOUS has some of the same elements that I've thought about and utilized to a less scary degree--dark spirits, evil and creepy--at least I think its less scary!

Even in the opening credits, the music and the gray, colorless shots of the house tells you to get ready. The story focuses on a young family that move into a beautiful new home. It may seem like the typical haunted house story, but it has a different spin on it, I think. Astral projection factors in; the ability to leave your body. I know a couple of people who have done this. One was the mother of a former boyfriend. The description, as it was told to me, of what can happen when a person does this is pretty frightening and I don't recommend anyone trying it. You can get more than you bargained for. This was on my mind as I watched the movie. I don't want to say too much because it's important to let the story unfold as you watch; a major component is discovering what exactly is happening.

If you like scary, you won't be disappointed. If this kind of stuff keeps you from sleeping at night, you may want to skip it...hee hee hee...

Toodles!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE scary! I haven't watched many movies since my son was born, but my S.O. and I were talking last night about getting out for this one. You've affirmed this is something we should actually do, versus just merely discussing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Deb. If you like scary, you'll enjoy it. It was one of the scariest movies I've seen in a while. "Drag Me to Hell" was pretty creepy, but I think INSIDIOUS, beats it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds even better than I'd expected. Great review.

    I'm following.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Elisabeth. The movie surprised me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this movie did a brilliant job of using music to set the stage for the spookiness. It's a shame you can't have a soundtrack for a novel, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lot's of times, writers do create a playlist to inspire them as they work. I guess that's as close to a soundtrack as one is going to get...lol...thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!