Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Selection for Waiting on Wednesday: Bunheads by Sophie Flack

Waiting on Wednesday has come around again. It's a great way to learn about new books coming out and what folks are eagerly anticipating. It was started by the marvelous Jill over at Breaking the Spine. This week, I'm leaving the supernatural behind and going for a contemporary YA. It's called Bunheads. That's a heck of a name, isn't it?...lol...The publisher put me on to it and I'm intrigued by it. Check out the blurb...

On-stage beauty. Backstage drama.
As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet Company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances and complicated backstage relationships. Up until now, Hannah has happily devoted her entire life to ballet.

But when she meets a handsome musician named Jacob, Hannah's universe begins to change, and she must decide if she wants to compete against the other "bunheads" in the company for a star soloist spot or strike out on her own in the real world. Does she dare give up the gilded confines of the ballet for the freedoms of everyday life? 


The author danced with the New York City Ballet from 2000 until 2009. I did some ballet myself as a kid though nothing as professional as the New York City Ballet. My group did perform at Lincoln Center in New York as well as Carnegie Hall, though! Those are awesome memories.

I love the rather abstract design of the cover. It makes me think of some kind of esoteric garden of some sort or lillypads--cool. For years, I wore my hair like that. It drove my friends crazy. People would beg me to take it out so they could see how long my hair was. I always promised to do it, but never did. It's all about the mystery, ya know? Ha ha ha...So, what do you think?  Are there any bunheads in your future?

BUNHEADS releases October 10, 2011 by Poppy (Little, Brown)

Toodles!

25 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds excellent. Thanks for putting it on my radar, June!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great pick, i'd seen this before but i didn't know that the author was a dancer with the nyc ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this for my WOW a couple of weeks ago. I love books about dancing. Here’s Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yes, I saw this one a while ago and the cover is definitely striking and different. I also love that the MC is older! Definitely checking it out.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title. Haha. Yep it is all about the mystery. :)
    My WOW is at http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely excited for this book! I saw a lot of people got a copy of this from BEA and I'm so envious of them! I think this appeals to older YA? Great pick!

    Check out my WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely interesting in reading this one too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very beautiful cover!
    Mine is EVERNEATH

    New follower,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting on this. Great choice!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this one, but I never cease to be enthralled by that cover! And the story sounds wonderful, too.

    Here's MY WOW POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a really great book. Here's my WOW. I love that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the title!! Sounds great.

    Check out my WOW here.

    Emma @ LostinaYAbook

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does sound good. I love the design of the cover too. So pretty!

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could be a dancer but I have zero rhythm and my balance is atrocious. I guess I will have to live my dreams through these great books. :) Great pick!

    My WOW: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday-22.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cover looks awesome. I thought it was flowers at first. Definitely, on the to-be-read pile.

    Here's ours:
    http://thestoryseekers.blogspot.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday-06.html#comments

    Alice @ The Story Seekers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not into this type of book, but my daughter is a dancer and she would love it, so thanks for putting it on my radar! The cover is stunning. At first glance, I didn't even realize what it was. I thought it was flowers. So cool!

    My WoW: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/09/www-14-and-waiting-on-wednesday.html

    My AWESOME Giveaway (Signed Copy of Across the Universe by BethRevis): http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-giveaway-across-universe-by-beth.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds amazing!

    Hope you have an awesome day! Come visit us if you have a chance!!

    Crazy Book Slut or Facebook page

    P.S. Newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the sound of the book, a little different from what I would usually read, and the cover is something else it's wonderful! Great pick! Thanks for explaining the bunheads by the way, I did not make that connection LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, great book! It sounds different and the cover is amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. You do find some of the neatest books!!!

    Totally love that cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This one sounds like a really good read! I can't wait to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, the cover is certainly interesting! Great choice this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cover is interesting and great choice, Thanks and keep sharing,...domain registration india

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!