Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Have You Noticed What's Going on In Europe Lately? Maybe it's Time You Did.

When I started my blog in the latter part of 2009, my purpose was a comprehensive one. I planned to cover the world of books, writing and life issues. As the title indicates, my purpose in writing this blog was and is to be a blessing to others. Eventually, the blog evolved into a book and review blog more than anything else and that's cool, but I'm taking note of some world developments that I want to pass on to the followers of this blog and to those casual passers-by.
Every so often, as I feel the need, I'm going to post on thought-provoking issues that are occurring overseas. I think I'm going to call it The European Update. My goal is to prick your conciousness and give you food for thought, give you something to contemplate. Make of these posts what you will. Your thoughts and beliefs are entirely your own. My mission is simply to state the facts. How you interpret them will be up to you. So, let us begin, shall we...

There's a crisis occurring in Europe that is impacting the countries that make up the European Union. The European Union consists of 27 countries. Of these 27 countries, 17 make up a monetary union called the Eurozone. These Eurozone countries use a single currency: the euro.

A number of the countries have spent more money than they bring in and are in tremendous debt. We're going to focus on Greece. The leaders of the Eurozone created a bailout package that Greece was expected to accept. If you were following the news developments, you saw that the Prime Minister of Greece, George Papandreou infuriated the eurozone leaders by his decision to put the bailout package before the people of Greece for a vote. He quickly reneged and resigned his position as Prime Minister two days later. Note this. All this drama because he had the "gall" to want the people to vote to accept or reject an economic package that was going to have a severe impact on their future.

I don't want to get too technical, but suffice it to say, ultimately, the people didn't vote and a new leader was installed as Prime Minister. The people didn't vote for a new leader, one was installed in the position. Think about that. That's not the democratic way. What do you think that is? Think about it. And start paying attention to what's going on in Europe.

Toodles!

4 comments:

  1. Ok...head spinning but you are so right...heads can't be in the sand for any of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Patty...I'm afraid heads are in the sand. I hope people will start to pay attention. The world is interconnected now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June,

    Thanks for posting about the world around us! You are so right, we are interconnected, and will continue to grow even closer more so in the future. Creating dialog can help build stronger and more meaningful connections.

    I'm sorry if I haven't replied to your comment not too long ago...I have moved to Israel, as you noticed, and it's been quite an adventure! Getting back into the swing of things, after the culture shock has been challenging :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi! Yeah. I totally understand about how busy you've been. I'm so glad to hear from you. Thanks so much for stopping by. You're in a significant part of the world right now. I imagine it does take some getting used to :-)

      Delete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!