Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Selection for Waiting on Wednesday: The Devouring series by Simon Holt

Waiting on Wednesday is one of the best meme's in my humble opinion. It was started by Jill at Breaking the Spine and it's a wonderful way to learn about the books fellow bloggers are dying to sink their teeth into. This week I'm interested in something a little different. I've always been a fan of horror movies and stories. I love Stephen King and I remember reading horror books when I was a kid about werewolves and vampires that scared the daylights out of me. These weren't handsome, sparkling vampires, these guys meant business. Bloody, scary business. I couldn't even sleep after reading them. I remember dreading when it would get dark, then I'd look around my room, in my bed, scared to death. Didn't stop my from reading more of them though...lol...*shaking my head*.


What I want to read is the Devouring Series by Simon Holt.The series is not new. The first book in the series, The Devouring, released in Sept, 2008. The second book, Soulstice (The Devouring #2)  was published this summer in July, 2010 and the third book, Fearscape (The Devouring #3), just released in Oct, 2010. There's just one problem:

I'm scared.                                                                                                            

Yep. I read the first couple of pages of a friends book and I had to stop. I was too scared to finish it. I'm only slightly ashamed. It reminds me a bit of the novel I'm working on, which scared me at first and I'm writing it for goodness sake! Crazy, I know. Let's look at the blurb on the back of the book...

"When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul..." 



Vours:
Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

This isn’t how the horror ended for us –
This is how it began.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it’s clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman’s imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life. To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?


I want to read it, but I don't know...it makes me think of the old days...I thought I was over that, but maybe not. What do you think? Is this something you'd read...alone...when it's dark?


Toodles...Agh.....!

15 comments:

  1. Um, yeah! I'm scared too! O_O I shall applaud your bravery and then cower in fear =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the books in this series, I'm very curious with your WoW pick (though it looks like its a scary read). :)

    Here's our WoW picks for this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books sound really good!! Eeek! Too scared to finish? Yikes! I'm totally checking this out...right now! Isn't fun when our own writing stirs emotions within us? That's happened to me a few times with my recent WIP, too. I just hope it does the same for readers. Here's my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man just that blurb scared me lol , putting it in my tbr list but remind me not to read at night.

    MYWOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some of the most beautiful covers I've seen in a while!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this with me...
    I love books that scare you, and for some odd reason I always end up reading them when I'm home alone! :)

    Going on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this series, but if it that scary then I am in. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The both sound interesting, perhaps a little scary, but I'd give them a go :)

    Rachel @ Fictional Fantasy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a book. It scared you that much that you couldn't continue?! I'm easily scared by crime and horror novels, need to try this series. The covers look great!:)
    Here is my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd be scared too! The covers are awesome! but I don't think I would sleep after reading.... My choices are much tamer. Have a visit. http://www.sugarbeatsbooks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What awesome covers. I love the different colors of smoke for each title.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the covers and now I want to read them so that I can be scared too! Does that mean I'm crazy? I think they'll be nice and different from the usual YA, at least for me. I don't get too many scary YA's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picks! That's how I felt about Bad Girls Don't Die. I could only read it during the day haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for dropping in everybody and offering me some support! It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets scared...LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read The Devouring two years ago and badly want to read the following novels. It's one of the creepiest YA novels I've read.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!