Monday, May 28, 2012

Battleship: great Memorial Day movie!

When I saw the previews for Battleship, it looked pretty good, so I was looking forward to seeing it. Then I read the review in my local newspaper. It got zero stars. Zero! I've never heard of such a thing. Maybe one star, but zero?!  I was almost influenced by this review and considered skipping the movie, but I couldn't shake my impression of it. It looked pretty entertaining in the previews. I decided to give it a chance and check it out.

I'll admit, the first 25 minutes or so was kind of boring and a little crazy, but I think this is because I was all stoked to see the aliens and I was waiting for them to show up. The movie is about 2 hours long. After that first 20-25 minutes, it was non-stop action and suspense. I couldn't  have asked for better! It left me breathless trying to figure out what was going to happen next and how it would end. I even understood the beginning better and why it played out the way it did. It showed the transformation of that main character and how he changed by the end.

One of the characters is a real war veteran in real life that is severely impaired. I was wondering if he was an actor or not. Then I saw him in an interview on CNN and it confirmed my suspicions. He was shocked to be selected to star in the movie and he had a nice juicy role. I was really happy for him. He's the guy with the artificial legs. You won't be able to miss him. And he was so good. I've heard that they used a lot of real military people in the film and there were even WW2 vets in it. Awesome.

Battleship won't win any Oscars, but it's a good action movie that is thoroughly entertaining for a day out. I don't want to give out too many details, because you should see the story unfold for yourself.

And if there's a lesson to be learned? Don't go sending out satellite messages to planets that look like they can sustain life. Those life forms don't know we exist and if you let them know we do and they come for a visit, we may get more than we bargained for!

Toodles!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a pretty neat film! I heard somewhere that Rihanna is in it, which makes things interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Melanie, she's in it, but her role wasn't that significant in my opinion, so she didn't add much to it.

      Delete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!