Sunday, December 2, 2012

Movie Review: Anna Karenina




I never read the book, so I had no idea what this movie was about beyond a very basic knowledge that it was a love story of some sort. I loved the way it looked in the movie preview, so I decided to check it out.

For those of you who may be as clueless about the story as I was, Anna Karenina is married to a dutiful, but dull husband. She has an affair with the handsome Count Vronsky and tragedy ensues.

As soon as the movie came on the screen, I was confused. It started like a play on the stage and I didn't get it. I didn't know what was going on. As time progressed, it got better. I really began to get into the story, but those play-like elements continued to pop up and I found them distracting. They were interesting at times, but they kind of pulled me out of the story.

The story is an interesting contrast of the morals of the time and what they are today. A woman having an affair pretty much guaranteed the end of a life of any respectability. Today, sex without marriage is of little consequence to many.

The visuals of this film are stunning. That alone is worth the price of admission. Those play-like elements aside, I enjoyed this movie. Now I'm interested in reading the book...oh, and by the way, this is the first time I noticed that Keira Knightly has some rather crooked teeth! Lol...

Toodles, ya'll

8 comments:

  1. I think I need to reread this book before I watch the movie. I remember being frustrated with the book but don't remember why... hm. In any case, the movie does look visually stunning and the PR it's getting is pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw someone reading it on the train today. It really was a beautful setting, Sonia.

      Delete
  2. I will wait for the TV version. I also will re-read before I watch it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that there are a number of versions that have been filmed in the past. I'd love to see another one myself, Leona.

      Delete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!