Monday, November 25, 2013

Movie and Book Review: Catching Fire




I enjoyed reading The Hunger Games and liked the movie. I REALLY loved Catching Fire---both book and movie! When I was reading it, I couldn't wait to see how they were going to adapt it for the big screen. I'm happy to say I was not disappointed.

This second installment of the Hunger Games saga is so much richer and deeper. The characters displayed a real depth of emotion about death and dying; about the destruction of people by their government...It really makes one think about what could happen in the world when people are powerless.

I always like the Peeta character in the novel, but wasn't too keen on the selection of Josh Hutcherson as the actor to play him. I think he kicked it up several notches this time around, so I liked him a lot more, but I still couldn't stop focusing on how short he is compared to Katniss and pretty much everyone else in the film! Lol...

In the book, Finnick Odair, one of the competitors in the Games is described as having "extraordinary beauty", so I was looking forward to seeing an awesome hottie...didn't quite happen...lol...the fellow chosen was nice looking (see fellow below on the right), but far from extraordinary or swoon-worthy. He did start to look better the longer the film went on...lol...They probably didn't want the guy to overshadow Peeta or Gale! At least they showed more of Gale this time!



Catching Fire will totally leave you "hungering" for Mockingjay. I still have to read it! I haven't read the reviews of the book, but it's my understanding that some people were disappointed with the conclusion to the saga...uh oh...well, I 'll find out soon enough. In the mean time, go see Catching Fire. It's good---real good!

Toodles!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

9 comments:

  1. Great review June. Definitely worth your time and effort if you've seen the first, and also especially if you can't wait to see what they have coming up next in terms of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see tons of movies...I live it...we are going soon! I heard that this one was really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Patty. I seem to be going every week. There are so many good ones!

      Delete
  3. i loved Mockingjay and i'm not sure why people didn't.I think people just don't like unconventional endings. I can't wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh..Unconventional? Gosh. I can't wait to find out what you're talking about...but I'm kind of scared too! :-o

      Delete
  4. June in print Catching Fire was extraordinary and from reports the film adaptation well captured the magic of the book. I agree that it was funny to keep hearing about the males extreme beauty but the actor they chose did not quite make that true, he could not outshine the 3 lead characters is probably the correct reason.

    Mockinjay was not a dissapointment if you take all the variables into account it played out as it should at the end, however as others who have read the entire series I wish it could have worked out differently too in some deep romantic corner that defies the logic of the final choice. Oh well cannot have it both ways in a love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Now I'm concerned, Jackie! I hope Katniss makes a choice I can can stomach. Yikes!

      Delete
  5. Hunger Games as a movie was good. Catching Fire was even better!

    It also helped me better understand how Katniss acted in Mockingjay. Yes, now I'm trying to torment you into reading the last book in the trilogy. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading what you have to say. Seriously!